Do you find yourself throwing out excuses to avoid getting work done? Do you start the process of match-making, only to hope that your buyer isn’t available for a showing that weekend? I get it—we all want breaks. Sometimes it’s nice to have a free weekend where you aren’t showing houses. But it’s a HUGE problem if you find yourself avoiding work that is your job! It is how you make a living! In this episode, I share 3 strategies to help get you back on track and doing your job.
Tip #1: Set boundaries
If you find yourself slacking on match-making and dreading your weekend because you’re scheduling showings—start setting boundaries! You don’t have to devote the whole weekend to showing houses. You could take Friday evening and Saturday off and only offer clients Sunday’s to show homes.
The key is that you set your availability. YOU tell them when you’re available and let them know when you’re not. Give yourself your 24 to do as you please and dedicate the remainder of your weekend to your clients. It’s the best of both worlds.
Tip #2: Hire a Showing Assistant
If you are busy matchmaking and finding homes to show clients but are short on time, consider hiring a showing assistant. Take a look at the roster in your company and reach out to an agent that you think would be interested in showing some houses for you. They can cover your showings when you need a day off or when you go on vacation.
Pay them a flat fee for showing properties—offer them $50 for the first showing and $25 for each additional. It’s a win-win for everyone involved. It doesn’t leave you bogged down and allows you to forge ahead with match-making. The assistant will make the whole process that much easier for everyone involved.
Tip #3: Send your buyers to open houses
This next tip is a little outside of the box. If you don’t have the time to show houses, send your buyer to open houses without you. I recommend a few steps if you’re considering this:
- Make sure your client is fine with going to the open house alone.
- Connect with the listing agent and clear it with them.
- Officially “schedule” a showing during the open house so that if an offer comes in you’re made aware. Register the buyers’ names in the showing.
I had some buyers who went to open houses on their own every weekend. They’d give me a heads up as to which ones they were going to and I’d get them registered. The process worked well and my clients were happy.
Ask yourself the hard questions—then get back on track
You need to take a step back and ask yourself some hard questions. Am I not putting in the work and doing matchmaking because I don’t want more work? Am I making excuses and laying blame elsewhere to avoid doing work? Do I simply want a free weekend?
Stop making excuses and admit it. Part of the battle is putting in the work. We all have moments when we don’t want to do what we need to do.
But you need to stop holding yourself back and preventing your own success. You have to work hard to get the results you want. Sometimes, that means working on the weekends. It means showing houses when you don’t feel like it.
But it’s when you break through and get work done that you begin to make a difference and work towards reaching your goals. Confront yourself, follow my outside-the-box tips, and move forward to reach your potential.
Outline of this great episode
- [0:43] Why are so many agents not putting in the work?
- [3:22] Tip #1: Set boundaries
- [4:45] Tip #2: Hire a showing assistant!
- [9:29] Tip #3: Send your buyers to open houses
- [9:00] Ask yourself the hard questions to get back on track
- How To Build A 6 Figure Real Estate Business That Eliminates The Commission Roller Coaster, Without Forcing Yourself To Do Things You Hate
- Easy Agent Pro – to get a website like mine (neilmathweg.com) go to www.easyagentpro.com/oj
- Shred Media – to take your digital marketing to next level go to www.ShredMedia.com
- To hear more great shows like Agent Rise visit www.industrysyndicate.com.
Resources and Links mentioned in this episode
- Head to AgentOnTheRise.com to check out my free masterclass!
- To get my listing presentation tips, text “LISTING” to 44222
- Join the Agent Rise Facebook Group (free) at www.Facebook.com/groups/agentrise
- To learn more about coaching, go to www.neilmathwegcoaching.com
- If you want to see my website as a REALTOR in Madison Wi go to www.ILoveMadisonHomes.com
Connect with Neil!
And connect with me on ANY of the following social channels. I LOVE social!
- Instagram (@neilmathwegcoaching or @neilmathweg (personal)
- Check out my YOUTUBE channel: all new content!
And finally, if you would be so kind – leave a rating and review for the Agent Rise podcast on Apple Podcasts (formerly iTunes)